Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Geography Lesson



There is a large picture window in our dining area that I generally keep uncovered so I can see the kids playing in the backyard. In fact, if I want privacy, there is no window-covering — instead, there is a pull-down classroom map of the world that functions like a pull-down window shade.

It's actually a combination double-map; one map is the world and one is the United States and you can pull down one or the other. I bought it new from ebay (they are widely available, try this site) and I highly recommend one for any home with children. Mine used to hang above the couch which was good, but having it by the table is even better. It is amazing how often geography comes up in mealtime conversation. We keep a "pointer" hanging in the corner so the kids can "touch" any country in question.

The house of my childhood had a huge map of the world wall-papered in the family room and for me, home just isn't home without a map.
add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

That is a cool idea!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 at 5:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kendra said...

I love this idea. Actually, I love all the ideas you post! Thanks for sharing!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 at 5:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Salem said...

Can you say Greenland?

That's right! It's Kaalalit Nuunat

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 at 5:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger MrsEm said...

How fun! I want to put one up in my apartment now!

You could also use pull down science charts...which could be creapy if you go with human biology or really cool with plant biology.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i love that idea. i can just see the blair family pulling down the map at dinner time to find out where such-and-such country is and what it's capital is.

we love the map you gave us from your "garage-of-fun" last summer when you moved. that and connor's bed. thanks so much!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 at 2:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a fantastic, original idea. i fear i may copy it. we've just moved and are working out our window coverings in each room as we speak.

and i love maps. have always had a map or globe in my home. the one i have on the wall now is one i bought in college that has all the countries and cities within each country written in the language of that country. plus the ussr, not russia.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 at 10:24:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Gold Coast Hotels said...

That's very creative! Thanks for the idea. Actually I have a map in our stockroom, maybe I can hang so my children will be familiarize with the whole world.

Friday, December 18, 2009 at 5:42:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home